Saturday, May 10, 2014



After watching his TED talk I did this drawing, Amalgamation,  in honor of Dan Phillips work and the work of his building company Phoenix Commotion. Dan's company "is a local building initiative created to prove that constructing homes with recycled and salvaged materials has a viable place in the building industry." A few months ago I made about twenty 12''x14'' fine art prints of the drawing which were then sent to Dan as a donation to aid in raising funds for future projects. Phoenix Commotion is located in Huntsville, Texas.
Here's a very endearing email from Dan after I completed Amalgamation:
Hi, Alyssa,
Just a note to thank you for your donations of architectural composites to help with our on-going quest to keep everything funded.  I love your work, and especially the most recent composite of the "storybook" house I built, with the "Budweiser" house woven into the design.  They're interesting and bracing.
I also enjoyed reading your artist's statement on your website, and am myself no stranger to Oskar Schlemmer, Walter Gropius, the Bauhaus cabal, and the whole phenomenological evolution, culminating with Christopher Alexander and David Abram.
Thank you for your contribution; thank you for your vision; and thank you for your advocacy.
Dan Phillips
The Phoenix Commotion

No comments: